Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Some New Works...

It has been a busy summer, but I was able to finish some new work for the Artists' Gallery in Lambertville NJ.

The two sepia-toned paintings are mixed media; I used graphite, colored ink, oil, and colored pencil on illustration board. Originally, they had started life as a demo for my Sophomore Illustration Practices class at Moore, and I had time to polish them up for display once school ended in May. The 1951 Ford is from a photo a buddy's daughter shot of one of his projects parked in his backyard. She was just a Junior in high school when she took the picture, and he e mailed me a copy asking if I thought his daughter had any talent as a photographer. I replied I wasn't an expert in judging photography,but I thought it was such a good photo I cropped it a little closer and based my painting on it.

The other, a 1958 Desoto, is from a another pic a friend sent me, again cropped in close. I always loved the big finned Chrysler monsters from the late Fifties, possibly because I rarely ever saw any of them growing up in Utica; the road salt seemed to take a heavy toll on Chrysler products in particular. By the time I was becoming aware what year and make certain model cars were, the "Forward Look" 1957-60 Dodges, Plymouths, DeSotos and Chryslers were already getting to be ten years old.
I added the 1959 New York State license plate, and used my artistic license; the plates didn't really look like that in 1959, but it was the year I was born so wanted the "59" to stand out a bit more.
The 1940 Ford Pickup is a watercolor on paper that I created for the Artists' Gallery Summer Show. You can read more about the exhibition here: http://www.lambertvillearts.com/august/
I liked the reflected light on this subject a lot. I'm also looking for more interesting, tighter cropped angles on my automotive subjects as well-Posted by Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment