Monday, May 28, 2012

The May Illustration and Baseball


The May Illustration for the Philadelphia Sketch Club
  May is always a busy month for me- our Senior Show at Moore is at the end of April, and I usually spend the first part of May trying to catch up with all the things I put off while getting that show up and running. I started this piece for the Philadelphia Sketch Club May edition of The Portfolio in early April as the major league baseball regular season was just getting  going. Along with it, the baseball season for Newtown, Pennsylvania, was just getting started as well. One of the town baseball fields is directly across the street from me, and I enjoy watching the game and hearing the sounds of kids playing baseball. I just have to be careful where I park my truck, as our yard and the street can be the landing zone for more than a few foul balls.  Baseball is my favorite sport to watch, because it means it is summer. 


   Some of my fondest memories from growing up in Utica include washing the cars with my Dad on a sunny summer afternoon and listening to a ball game on the radio. I rarely ever watch baseball on television, I almost always listen to it on the radio while I work in my studio or around the house, or while I am driving. Subsequently, I am often surprised when I see a photograph of a ball player I have only heard  described on the radio by  the play by play announcers. For instance,  unless a player has a last name that identifies them as being of Latino descent, I picture them in my head as just “a baseball player”; you never hear the announcer say "And here is  Daniel Murphy coming to bat; He is hitting .267 with three home runs, and he is a tall white man with facial hair”...
Mr. Ball Player, prior to his days playing for the NY Mets
  In my head, almost all professional  baseball players  I have not seen look like Art Shamsky from the 1960’s Cincinatti Reds, and are older than me. I guess that is one of the reasons I prefer listening to baseball on the radio; When I do, I always feel like a young guy helping his dad wash the station wagon on a sunny summer afternoon.
-Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment