Thursday, April 19, 2012

Some New Work, After A Long While…

Illustration for April.. a caricature of illustrator Mike Manley



It has been a while since I was able to last post; a very busy year with a lot of free lance illustration and gallery work combined with teaching at Moore leaves little time to post on a blog. I have written many blog posts in my head, but the act of typing them out and checking for grammatical and spelling errors was something I simply did not have the time for…I usually have time to write on the train ride back and forth between Newtown and Philadelphia, but I found myself using that time trying to keep up with emails…the iPhone and iPad  I bought to help stream line things have just helped me to be too busy to work on my iBook…
Illustration for January 2012 Portfoilio
Each month I have an opportunity to create an illustration for the Philadelphia Sketch Club’s newsletter, The Portfolio. With a name like that for a monthly publication, you know it has been around for a long time. Indeed, the club itself has been around for quite a while, having been founded in 1860 by  six illustrators looking for opportunities not available at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. The American Civil War put a damper on club activities until the surviving members returned home, but the club really took off after that, with Thomas Eakins eventually becoming the president of the place. The Philadelphia Sketch Club occupies an historic clubhouse on narrow little Camac Street  (“Camac- The Name is the Same, Forward and Back” an elderly gentleman who grew up on the street a few blocks  down from the Sketch Club related to me how he had memorized that when he was younger to remember his address) and the interior includes portraits of club members painted by Thomas Anschutz. They are umber and sienna hued works painted with brushy strokes of serious looking gentleman, nearly every one with a full beard and mustache. The Club was a men-only institution until the early 1990s. You can visit the Sketch Club web site at www.sketchclub.org

February illustration is rather Philadelphia-centric...
Times change, and The Philadelphia Sketch Club has subsequently gone co-ed; this year, The Portfolio has gone on-line. Prior to this, we used the high speed copier and black ink and folded and mailed the issues by hand, restricting the illustration to gray scale and 65 dpi. Now, I can use glorious RGB color at 72 dpi! Given this new freedom, and the change from a short horizontal rectangle to a slightly square one,  I am working to create images that I hope the members will look forward to seeing each month. The theme always needs to have something to do with creating art work and the calendar month or an event taking place at the Sketch Club.  I am posting the illustrations from January through April; still working on May!
-Rich
The illustration for March reflected our record setting warm weather...



No comments:

Post a Comment