Saturday, May 5, 2012

Philadelphia Sports Weekly Cartoon

On May 6th, the first cartoon I have done for the Philadelphia Daily News weekend paper Philadelphia Sports Week will appear. It's not available on line, so I will post a copy of the weekly cartoon on this blog when it appears each Sunday. The editors help come up with the concept, and then I  (ahem..) take the ball and run with it.

I received a few ideas from the editors, and once the Editor In Chief, Becky Batcha, gave the green light to go with this sketch, I had a lot of fun drawing it. Becky and I go back all the way to our college days at the Daily Orange at Syracuse University, and I wanted to make as good an impression with this first cartoon for PSW as I did with the first cartoon I drew back in 1981 for her DO editorial about martial law in Poland. I hope that I (ahem..) hit a home run with this one, too...

I was worried that after I submitted the final illustration on Thursday at noon that the Phillies would go on an offensive tear for the next 3 games and cause the cartoon to look pretty lame; however, they  managed to hand the Washington Nationals the Friday night game and today rolled over in a 7-1 loss. I can only hope the Nationals get a three-game sweep of the Phils with a shutout on Sunday to keep this cartoon relevant. After that, Philadelphia can go back to being a powerhouse NL East contender again. It might make for good cartoon material this summer.
-Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment